Thursday, August 11, 2005

Superwolf at Ypsigrock.it festival

7th of August, the evening, I had the chance to see Will Oldham and Matt Sweeney perform live in Castelbuono (Sicily) , a place with an architecture of a fairy tale...This concert opened the Ypsigrock festival, meant to last till the 9th of August featuring Ulan Bator and Patrick Wolf in the following nights. The venue was totally magical, a performance of Superwolf within remains of an ancient castle thoroughly captured the essence of the intimacy of this album...What I genuinely liked apart from everything, was above all, the warm welcome I got there, being the unique person from abroad, totally lost and confused.
First of all, I have to say I was also pleasently surprised by the powerfull sounding support band Poppy's Portrait, a band that sounded something like Shellac meets Sonic Youth...
Highlights of the Superwolf performance include: What are you, Rudy Foolish, Blood Embrace, Bed is for sleeping, My home is the sea, Beast for thee,and the wolf-esq howling which ended the performance...Some other things I found exciting were of course:the people asking me how is "Fuori" in English at the end of the concert, the camping located in a national park, me telling Will Oldham he made an amazing cover of Sweeter than anything by PJ Harvey, the beach in Cefalù...

A review I wrote was published today in Utrinski Vesnik http://www.utrinskivesnik.com.mk

Molto Grazie at Gianfranco Raimondo, Vincenzo Barreca, David...

No comments: