Thursday, December 22, 2005

Lofidelica Top 10 Albums of 2005

10.Jeffrey&Jack Lewis-City&Eastern songs (Rough Trade)

I just felt I had to put Jeffrey in the list, even if it means to nudge out Sufjan Stevens, or Chad Vangaalen...His wit, charm and everything conquered my heart, unfortunately a bit too late to get any higher...
9.Stephen Malkmus-Face the truth (Matador)

This album was my number one in the very beginning of the summer. It is very playful, but also mature, kind of perfectly fits in the lofidelica Sundays...
8.Pernice Brothers-Discover a lovelier you (Ashmont)

"Snow" is probably a song I always play when Dj-ing. Other than that, the album works as a whole, there is some atmosphere-altering magic about it which I really like.
7.Hood-Outside Closer (Domino)

February/March/April somewhere around that period, I was really into Hood, electro-acoustic, whiny, and cold...The lyrics are brilliant. I was thinking between this, David Pajo's "Pajo" and Castanets' "First Light's Freeze"...
6.The Panics-Sleeps like a curse (LittleBIGman)

Makes me feel really good listening to it. Brilliant altogether.
5.Thanksgiving-The River (Hive Fidelity/Marriage)

Adrian definetly marked my 2005. At least in all of those (unsuccessful) attempts to get him to play here. His music is pure beauty. I quote: "He sounds like The Microphones (minus the drumming) vs. Will Oldham." Very young (19), talented and productive, I think he has released at least 3 albums this year, from which I chose "The river" as the best one.
4.Arizona Amp And Alternator-A.A.A.A (Thrill jockey)

This probably compensates for not being able to place M Ward's "Transistor Radio" in the top 10. Also a very important part of AAAA is Howe Gelb, whose amazing voice totally wooes me. The cowboy charm, different musical styles blend, and generally the whole fooling around among very very cool people, gets AAAA to number 4.

3.Bonnie 'Prince' Billy-Summer in the Southeast (Drag city)

The best Will Oldham songs in one place, and live! It reminds me of seeing him live in Italy, which was one increadible highlight of this year.
2.Smog-A river ain't too much to love (Drag city)

Each song here tells a story, listening to this album is like reading a book, or being alone with Bill Callahan, it's a very intimate experience, which I tend to set "on repeat".

1.Hotel Alexis-The shining example is lying on the floor (Broken sparrow)

Finally, Hotel Alexis. A background for most of the moments which made my year. To convert sounds into feelings is what I consider the biggest power of music. "The shining example is lying on the floor" makes me feel love.


*listen to
the quiet life

dapper dan

it's obvious now






note:this list will influence the final Kanal 103 list, of albums of the year, which I will eventually post.













1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Fellow! I was just searching blogs,and I found yours! I like it!
If you have a moment, please visit my az lyrics site.
Good luck!